When I first started blogging, my reason was to fill a gap I felt existed. My husband has bipolar disorder and a few years back when he had a particularly bad setback, I turned to the Internet for support.
I found many, many resources for the sufferer but very few for me, the spouse and caregiver. Once he was stable, I decided to reach out and share my experiences with others just like me.
I started by making videos on You Tube. Then, through Twitter I met a wonderful woman blogging about her disorder. She graciously invited me to blog about my experiences on her site. And that was how I safely jumped into the world of blogging. All I had to do was write.
I found out that I really enjoyed blogging, sharing information and meeting new people. But I felt like I had more to say. I didn’t want to be known as just a wife of a bipolar sufferer. There is more to me than that. So I started this blog.
Blogging has a huge learning curve, but it’s not like flying a plane. You can jump right in and fly by the seat of your pants having absolutely no previous skill or knowledge. All you need is a name and a niche. The rest you just learn as you go. I think that’s the fun part for me. I love research and information.
I am now at the point where I know that this is what I want to do and would like to take my blog to the next level. I read, a lot, and have compiled a list of what I have seen the successful bloggers doing. I am sure the list will grow but here it is:
13 Things Successful Bloggers Do
1. Write a mission statement or reason for blogging. On paper, not just in your head.
2. Choose a niche then narrow it down.
3. Have a mentor or follow blogs that inspire and motivate you.
4. Occasionally re-evaluate your mission statement and make adjustments.
5. Read and be up to date in your chosen niche as well as the blogging community.
6. Engage with other bloggers.
7. Do not be afraid to start again if your current blog isn’t working for you.
8. Use analytics to make your blog content better.
9. Do guest posts and invite others to your blog.
10. Share personal observations and experiences in your posts.
11. Adopt not mimic what works for others but in your own unique voice.
12. Make a commitment to post regularly and stick to it.
13. Most importantly, above anything else, WRITE GOOD CONTENT.