I am so excited to share with you how to start a blog with Siteground. Since starting my first self-hosted blog with WordPress in 2014, I have had over 500,000 pageviews and have made thousands of dollars through advertising, affiliate links and services. (See my income report here.)
I have clients and blogging friends all over the world! I absolutely love blogging and I am so thrilled to offer you the opportunity to follow in my footsteps for the super cheap investment of just a few dollars per month.
Don’t be scared!
I get you and I have been where you are right now. You want to start a blog but you don’t want to make a huge financial commitment till you are sure blogging is right for you. That’s totally OK. Choosing Siteground is the way to go. With plans starting as low as $3.95/month, you could be on your way to a whole new life today.
Blogging has allowed me to quit my full-time job and work from home…in my pajamas. And I do that more often than I care to admit. But hey! I am the boss and I decide on my dress code. Also, if you are a regular reader, then you know that in this past year my mom was very ill and I had to take care of her. I am so glad that I was able to spend this last year with her. No other job on the planet would have kept paying me a salary while not putting in the hours. That is the beauty of being your own boss and creating a passive income.
You can create the life you want, spend time with the people that matter to you and have the freedom and flexibility to work when and where you want to.
Absolutely anyone can start a successful blog. And with the low introductory price that Siteground is offering right now, you can easily make that money back quickly and then some. Siteground stands behind their product and their customer service. I use Siteground personally and I highly recommend any beginner blogger to start their blog using their hosting services.
Now, I know what you are thinking. “Why can’t I just start a blog on Blogger or the free WordPress platform?” Well, let me tell you that I have done both. Blogger was a total nightmare to use and the free WordPress platform, though great for hobby bloggers, is very limited in features and you don’t own your blog. That’s right. If WordPress chose to take down your site, for any reason, they could.
Plus, there are very strict and limiting rules regarding making money on any free platform. If you are starting a blog with the intention of making money, with advertisements, affiliate links, sponsored posts or services, you need to be totally unrestricted so that you can maximize your earning potential. Plus, a self-hosted blog gives you a professional image and shows that you are serious about blogging.
Siteground allows you the chance to grow your business while keeping your start up costs low.
If you are currently on the free WordPress platform and are considering a move to self-hosted, check out my easy to follow guide here on how to do that all by yourself. I did it and so can you. But remember, the longer you wait to transfer, the more you have to lose in terms of traffic and money. Do it as soon as you become committed to making money with your blog.
Still not convinced? Here are a few more reasons to choose Siteground as your hosting provider:
- Easy to navigate with on screen step by step instruction if needed.
- One click WordPress installation.
- Chat and technical support available 24 hours a day.
- Affordable monthly plans starting at $3.95/month.
- 99.99% Uptime. Yes. You read that right! (Have you heard about the nightmares on other hosting platforms? Been there. Done that!)
Are you ready to change your life and start a money making blog? I bet you are! Here we go…
You will need to click on over to Siteground to start this process. Remember if you have any trouble with the process at any time, click the chat button on Siteground or contact their technical support. They are super helpful and were able to help me immediately whenever I had problems or questions. Don’t be afraid to contact them.
1. Select your plan
I suggest that you choose the StartUp plan for several reasons:
- If this is your first blog, you want to keep your costs low.
- You can upgrade at anytime quickly and efficiently.
- A 12 month plan means that you won’t run the risk of your site going down if your forget to renew your month to month payment or your credit card expires.
2. Choose your domain name.
This is probably the thing that will take you the longest to do and will probably give you the most stress. Here is a few tips to help you make your selection:
- Try to have your niche in your domain name if possible (great for SEO)
- Do not have any symbols such as dashes in your name
- Numbers can be confusing. Is it “1” or “one”?
- Don’t use words that can be spelled multiple ways
- Make sure the domain name you want is available on all social media platforms before you start.
- Ask friends, family and other bloggers for input.
3. Confirm your plan.
4. Hosting Period and Extras.
Select the term for your hosting package.
Confirm or uncheck the suggested upgrades for your package. I do recommend the Domain Privacy. It is worth the $12/year to have your private information protected. I registered a domain once and forgot to check it. I started to get mail and phone calls like crazy! Took me awhile to figure out why but once I did and called Siteground, they had it added to my package for me in seconds.
I also have the SG Site Scanner but it is entirely up to you whether you wish to have it. It is piece of mind to me.
5. Enter payment information
6. Read policies and check box to accept terms.
7. Go to your cPanel
Proceed to the customer area, click “My Accounts” tab and then click the red button that says “Go to cPanel”. Click “Proceed”.
8. Installing WordPress
Here is where the magic happens. It is super simple and done in a few clicks. Installing WordPress is free and included with your hosting package.
Look for the Section named “AutoInstallers” and click on the WordPress Logo.
- Click the blue button that says “Install”.
- When you click on Install, fill out the information on the page.
- You will then be prompted to choose a theme. You can choose one now or later on the WordPress platform. Either way, don’t worry because you can change it anytime you want. You are not locked into the theme you choose right now.
- And you are done.
You are a freaking super star! You are now officially a blogger with your very own special place on the internet.
- If you are a brand new blogger, I suggest you use a free WordPress theme till you get familiar with using the platform. Only then will you be able to make an informed decision about purchasing a theme. The key to the right choice is knowing what you need, want and require from your blog’s functionality. Remember that less is always more. Check out my post, 5 Reason’s I Didn’t Read Your Blog. Almost all of the reasons I list, plus the over 300 comments from readers, are design related annoyances that can be avoided.
- Create a few test posts with images and experiment with the layout of your blog.
- Check out other blogger’s designs for inspiration.
- Create your social media profiles using your new domain name.
- Join blogging groups on Facebook for support and information.
- Keep reading and learning about blogging.
- Check out my resources page for a complete list of the tools and plug ins that I use to support my business.