I can’t believe I am doing this. I have never posted an income report on my blog before. And the reason I haven’t is because quite frankly, it is none of your business what I make.
But I feel it is time I share this information with my readers on this blog at least once.
Let me tell you why I think it is time:
- Most of the blog income reports I see have a huge portion (if not all) of money earned selling blogging related products, i.e. hosting, courses, products and services. Though interesting reading, it can be very discouraging for someone who does not blog about blogging. But worse yet, I feel those types of income reports make bloggers:
a) all of a sudden start posting about blogging even though it does not fit their niche and
b) promoting products about blogging to their audience that isn’t interested in those types of products
What happens next?
-they make no sales
-they piss off their current followers
-they fail to gain new followers because the blog focus is now unclear
-they get discouraged
2. It is no secret I am a midlife blogger. You see it up there at the top of every page of this blog. Right now I am seeing a surge of millennial bloggers, particularly in the travel, tech and money saving niches. Honestly, I think it is great and I wish I knew about blogging when I was younger but here we are. I want midlifers to see that you can create the life you want, supplement your retirement income and make money online with a blog. If you are a woman over 40, I want this for you. I want you to blog your way to a fabulous life you never dreamed possible.
Which brings me here: to my first blog income report.
- I have been blogging since 2014. Like I tell my regular readers and subscribers, blogging is a marathon, not a 100 metre dash. If you commit to the long journey, the huge learning curve and the endless frustration, you can make money blogging online.
- I do make money from promoting hosting packages, courses, products and services on THIS blog. The income below is specifically from my other blog, an online magazine called Making Midlife Matter, which has absolutely no content about blogging.
- I will not be listing my expenses since they are intertwined between 3 blogs. (Yes, I am cuckoo enough to have 3)
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may earn a commission should you choose to sign up for a program I recommend or make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love all of these products anyways, and you will too! To read my full disclosure and more boring legal stuff, click here.
How This Midlife Blogger Made Over $3000 In One Month Without Blogging About Blogging
Advertisements: $2595.82 (Mediavine)
Let me clarify that my pageviews for the month of November 2017 were 136,309. I know that sounds really high and like there is no way you could get there but you can. Most of my traffic comes from 10 posts. 10. And remember, they are not about blogging. Even on this blog, my blogging posts are not in the top 10 most viewed.
Check out this post: Do I have to blog about blogging to get massive pageviews.
I have only recently switched to Mediavine as my ad network and I must say I am impressed with the substantial increase in income from ads. If you click through to Mediavine, know that this is not an affiliate link as they do not believe in paying for referrals. They believe their service is so spectacular that bloggers will recommend them anyway, and they do. The process to set up was simple and their support department was very hands on and helpful. Mediavine does require a minimum of 25,000 sessions a month for acceptance in their program. If you are there, I urge you to try them out for 90 days (required minimum).
If you are not there yet, work on increasing your pageviews and apply to MediaNet which is a great alternative. I used them for over a year.
Affiliate Income: $249.54 (Amazon)
Making money online as an Amazon affiliate is easy because Amazon is one of the best and most used online stores on the web. It may not offer the highest commission but if you can get a reader to click on your link, a cookie is created and anything that reader buys in the next 24 hours, you will get commission. So, even though they clicked on your link for makeup brushes and they bought tires instead, you make money! How cool is that? The best thing about Amazon is that every niche can find something to link to in it’s store.
Be sure to read all the terms and conditions. Amazon does have some limitations on where and how you can share their links. They also regulate how your disclose.
Once you are accepted by Amazon, you have 90 days to make your first sale to stay in the program. You should have no problem doing that!
To become an Amazon affiliate, click here.
Affiliate Income: $289.32 (FlexOffers)
Flexoffers is not one affiliate, but thousands rolled into one platform. From small companies to huge brands. You will definitely find an affiliate program in Flexoffers that will work with your niche. You do have to apply within the program to become an affiliate of each merchant but it is very simple to do so.
As well, Flexoffers has one of the best affiliate networks so you can also earn by recommending Flexoffers to other bloggers to join.
To become a Flexoffers affiliate, click here.
If you are a new blogger or would like a more comprehensive look at affiliate programs, you may be interested in this post: 10 Affiliate & Ad Network Programs That Accept New Bloggers
That’s it. That’s my income report.
I am not very good at juggling a lot of balls so I like to keep it simple on Making Midlife Matter. I keep the number of affiliates down to a manageable number. This has worked well for me as it means that I always reach payout minimums plus I am able to take advantage of great statistics on conversions. Some of my best sales come from products I would have never guessed would be selling. I hope to add more natural links to the existing posts plus write a more in-depth post on how to use affiliate links within blog posts for my readers on this blog.
If you are a midlife blogger, I hope I have encouraged you to press forward and keep blogging.
If you want to make money online with your blog, I hope I have given you inspiration and direction.
If you haven’t started your blog yet, click here for a step by step tutorial.
If you are on the free WordPress platform and want to transfer to a self-hosted blog, click here for a step by step tutorial.
If you are on the free WordPress platform and wish to stay there, this article is for you. Click here to get a list of ways you can monetize.